- What Is Reiki?
- Reiki is an energy healing technique which is used to promote the body's natural ability to heal itself. It's used to treat mental, emotional, physical and spiritual problems and is exceptionally good for relaxation and stress reduction.
- The word Reiki combines two Japanese words - Rei which means 'universal' and Ki which means 'life force energy'.
- When it's free flowing, this Ki energy is said to be responsible for good health. When it becomes blocked and stagnant it's responsible for poor health.
- Ki is very responsive to negative energy, such as thoughts and feelings, and so it can become blocked by these.
- The practice of Reiki works to restore the healthy, natural flow of “life force energy” that flows through you to promote the body’s self-healing abilities.
- Reiki takes a holistic approach to your health, meaning it treats all aspects of your mental, emotional, physical and spiritual well-being as a whole, rather than just treating the particular symptoms being experienced.
- How Does Reiki Work?
The Reiki practitioner channels the 'life force energy' and acts as a conduit to transmit it into, and around, your body.
Reiki energy can be transmitted to you in 3 different ways, all of which are equally effective and have the same benefits:
- Physical Reiki: The Reiki practitioner places their hands at specific Reiki points on the body.
- Physical Reiki: The Reiki practitioner places their hands just above the Reiki points on the body, or
- Absentee or Distance Reiki: The Reiki practitioner places their mental focus on sending you the energy and is used when both the practitioner and the recipient are in different locations.
- How Does Distance Reiki Work?
Distance Reiki is a technique used by Practitioners to send Reiki energy to you from anywhere in the world, at any time, without physical proximity or touch. Basically, it's used to send you Reiki energy when you are not in the same room as the Practitioner. The technique is based on the belief system that Reiki transcends both time and space because those are illusionary.
Essentially, it follows the principle that, where attention goes, energy flows. It involves the Practitioner focuses their mental energy and intention on visualizing you when sending Reiki energy. You could say, it works similar to radio and television technology,
The Reiki Practitioner uses the Reiki Distance Symbol - Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen, as a tool, to send you Reiki energy from a distance. The general meaning of the symbols is, 'No past, no present, no future' and 'The Buddha in me contacts the Buddha in you'.
In distance healing, the Reiki Practitioner uses one or more of the following ways, to visualize and connect with you when sending the Reiki energy:
- A photograph
- Your name and location
- A phone call
- A skype call
During a distance treatment, you may be present via Skype or phone or you may be absent, whereby you can continue with your daily activities, without any contact with the Practitioner whilst they perform the session.
This symbol can be used to send you Reiki energy at a past event which may still be causing you upset. Or it can be sent to you in the present, to help deal with current issues you may be experiencing. It can also be sent to you in the future, to support you with your life goals and any upcoming events which you may need help with.
- What Are The Benefits Of Distant Reiki
Distance Reiki has all the benefits of a physical session and can have a significant impact on improving your overall health. It's also a deeply relaxing experience which is very enjoyable.
As Reiki supports the body's natural healing process, it can be used to treat almost any mental, emotional, physical or spiritual issue and has shown good results in the following areas:
- Increased energy
- Decreased stress, anxiety and depression
- Better sleep
- Decreased pain and stress
- Better and more loving communication
- The ability to cope with life challenges
- Improved relationships
- Speedy recovery
- Clear mind
- Inspires creativity
- Weight loss
- Relaxed and confident for interviews and auditions
- Helps to cope with grief
- Eases death and dying
- Releases addiction
- Promotes financial abundance
- and so much more
- What Happens During A Distance Reiki Treatment?
For distance Reiki treatments with That Reiki Thing, the treatment procedure is as follows:
- Your treatment will start with phone call or Skype chat to help me better understand your goals for the session and to better understand your current condition (unless it is a follow-up session). The initial chat also helps you to get to know me better and to help me to connect with you from a distance, before the treatment begins.
- During the treatment, it's recommended that you lie comfortably on a bed or a couch and relax, if possible. This way you can take advantage of the deep relaxation that Reiki offers. If you prefer, however, you may be absent during the session, so that you can continue with your daily activities. You will still receive the Reiki energy.
- The treatment will be performed on a surrogate for your energy body (a teddy bear). In this way, the practice models the same practice as a 1-1 physical Reiki treatment. Your photo and the information that you provided, will be used to focus and visualize you during the treatment. This may sound strange but these are well established distance Reiki techniques used in distance treatments.
- The main treatment will start with the scanning of the bio-magnetic field (aura) of your surrogate to look for energy blocks or imbalances. It takes about 5-10 min and gives a better focus for where the energy is needed most.
- We proceed to the main treatment, which lasts about 25-30 min. During the treatment, the Practitioner places their hands either on or just above the surrogate and gives you the Reiki energy through the palms of the hands, placing hands at certain Reiki positions.
- Once the session has ended, there will be time to ask questions, talk about your experiences, and how you feel. You will also receive feedback from the Practitioner.
- What Does Distance Reiki Therapy Feel Like?
Each person experiences Reiki in their own unique way, and experiences can differ from session to session too, however the feeling of deep relaxation seems to be universal.
You may feel one or more of the following Reiki sensations:
- A profound state of relaxation
- Feelings of warmth or coolness
- Pulsing muscles and tingling sensations in the body
- A floating sensation
- Seeing colors or shapes
- Visual experiences
- Emotional release
- Physical release
Some people feel no Reiki sensations at all, or they may fall asleep. If this is you, don’t worry, you will still receive all the benefits of Reiki. You may experience sensations sometime after the treatment or you may experience something different at a future session.
- How Will I Feel After A Treatment?
It usually takes up to 3 days for all the energy to settle in after the Reiki treatment. After the treatment, you may experience what is known as a healing crisis. This can occur when toxins that have been stored in the body are rapidly released into the bloodstream before being removed through the liver or kidneys.
This is a sign that your body is starting the self-healing process, however, it may cause symptoms of a change in mood, headache, stomach ache or a feeling of weakness, within the first 24 hours of the session. If this occurs, drink more water, eat lighter meals, and get lots of rest. If symptoms continue, it's best to contact your doctor.
- How Many Sessions Will I Need?
Although some people benefit from one treatment, regaining health is not usually something that happens overnight, therefore a minimum of 3 to 6 treatments is recommended. For long term health issues, a longer course of treatment may be beneficial.
- Is Reiki A Religious Practice?
Reiki is not a religion. It is a philosophy of care.
- Does Reiki Replace Conventional Medicine?
You should always consult medical advice if your symptoms are very severe, however, Reiki is an effective complementary therapy which may be used alongside Western medicine.
People requiring treatment for medical or psychological conditions should work with licensed healthcare providers while they receive Reiki.
- Are There Any Contra-Indications?
Reiki is a holistic treatment, generally suitable to all. All clients with a certain medical condition are advised to visit their GP to discuss starting Reiki treatments before the initial treatment.
Contraindications and Limitations:
- Pacemaker: Due to the nature of energy work, Reiki has been known to impact upon the proper functioning of pacemakers, therefore That Reiki Thing does not treat those with a pacemaker.
- Medications: Clients who take medications, are asked to see their GP and to discuss receiving Reiki healing before the initial treatment. Those who need regular injections/medications are advised always to carry medications with them during the treatment. Reiki has been known to alter blood sugar levels, therefore clients with diabetes are also asked to always carry their blood testing kit and any emergency supplies that may be required.
- Epilepsy: Even though Reiki healing tends to improve Epilepsy, please, note that due to the nature of energy work, Reiki healing could cause an epileptic fit during the treatment. If you have epilepsy, you are advised to see your GP and discuss receiving Reiki healing before the initial treatment.
- Pregnancy: There are no specific contraindications, however, it’s always advisable to see your GP and discuss receiving Reiki healing before the initial treatment.